Thursday, March 29, 2018

Two Historical Fiction Titles for Spring

Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC's of these books. All opinions are my own.

Spring Break starts Monday. The children's department at the library follows the same schedule as the school system, so I'm off all next week! When I go back to work, I'll be preparing for our annual Summer Reading Program and I will be absolutely swamped from now until July, so I plan on enjoying every moment of this week off.

With spring sort of here (it's still very damp and pretty chilly in our part of the country) I wanted to share with you two great reads that came out this month that are perfect for spring! As you know, I love Historical Fiction and these two books are both great reads and would be just right for a spring break read.





The Room on Rue Amelie has an interesting story line, well written characters you care about, and a war torn setting, providing a great, somewhat breezy read about the French Resistance during World War II. 

Taking inspiration from The Nightingale (one of my all time favorites!) this book is quite a bit lighter and focuses more on romance. Ruby, an American in Paris, is caught in an increasingly unhappy marriage just as the Nazi's are invading France. When she finds that her husband is not the man she thought she was, her life shatters. But as she rebuilds it, making friends with the Jewish family next door and crosses paths with a handsome and kind RAF pilot, she finds herself and the courage to take on the destruction around her.

The Room on Rue Amelie is an easy read of a difficult subject. A book about resistance work in a war torn country as a romance sounds a little odd, but the writing is solid and the characters truly likable. Based on the real Comet Line, this book would be enjoyable for anyone who likes historical fiction-the perfect spring read.

Overall: 4/5

The Room on Rue Amelie, Kristin Harmel
Genre: Historical Fiction
Publisher:  Gallery Books


Let me start off by saying: this book was amazing and is the best fiction book I've read so far this year.  I was thrilled to receive the Advanced Reading Copy of this book, and it held up to the hype.  ( I now want to read everything that Ariel Lawhon has written!)

I Was Anastasia was a fascinating book. Told from two perspectives, that of Grand Duchess Anastasia of Russia and that of a woman who was pulled from a river covered in scars and is called Anna Anderson, the book is told in a double linear time line that eventually meets. Anastasia tells of her family's forced abduction from imperial Russia and follows them as through the fallout of the Revolution. Anna's is a story of a woman who claims to be Anastasia, and is desperate to be recognized as her true self.

This book is cleverly written and well researched. It's also very moving and has an excellent cast of characters. Highly recommend!

Overall: 5/5

I Was Anastasia, Ariel Lawhon
Genre: Historical Fiction
Publisher:  Doubleday

What are you reading this spring?

No comments:

Post a Comment

BACK TO SCHOOL READS: Educators

It's that time of year: Back to School. Since I'm back working at a public school, I've been brushing up on my education reading...