Monday, August 20, 2018

BACK TO SCHOOL READS: Educators

It's that time of year: Back to School. Since I'm back working at a public school, I've been brushing up on my education reading. Our school started last week and I've been getting to know all my students-I do lots of one on one work with kids across several grades-and there is so much great information out there about how kids learn. Here are three recommendations for educators to read as we head back into this school year:



This book focuses on the character of children and how building them up and providing them with outlets to build on things like grit and curiosity can make a huge difference in their success.



This book is a must read for any reading teacher and it's in my arsenal of how-to-do-things literature. Miller's ideas are not complex, but are what are needed in education (and library education! I used these theories extensively as a librarian) and developing readers.

My third recommendation is a little different. It's a memoir instead of your standard education read:




Jeannette Walls' The Glass Castle is a good reminder that we don't always know what our students struggles are. There is only so much we can know about a child's home life, and this beautiful, sorrowful memoir provides a snap shot of that. 

What books do you find help you as an educator?

No comments:

Post a Comment

BACK TO SCHOOL READS: Educators

It's that time of year: Back to School. Since I'm back working at a public school, I've been brushing up on my education reading...