But, I love writing here-I like getting the word out on books I'm reading and sharing library programs and I WANT to be doing this. For me. So! That's what I'm going to do: make writing here more of a priority and a little more organized. Wish me luck (because I will need it. Life is CRAZY, ya'll.)
Let's start with my summer reading so far! I love to read fiction in the summer, plus I'm working through lots of YA right now to add to the library's collection. Here are my top three for the month:
Us Against You, Fredrik Backman
5/5 stars. This was one of my most anticipated books of the year; I loved Beartown and I couldn't wait to read this follow up to it. When Atria Publishing and Netgalley sent me a free ARC copy of this book, I was thrilled . Us Against You didn't disappoint. Backman is a master at writing people and their inner thoughts and feelings, his writing is so raw but so full of hope. I still can't get over that books about teenage boys playing hockey resonate with me so very much, but they do. This book is all about how people deal with trauma, and is simply one of the best things I've read all year.
4/5 Stars. Another book I've been long anticipating, I was lucky enough to read American Panda for Kid Lit Exchange. A contemporary YA book with an Asian lead? Yes, please. The main character, Mei, is someone you root for through the whole story. She's struggling-to fit in at college, with her Taiwanese family's expectations of her, with who she wants to be, will be and is. Full of laugh out loud humor, Chinese cultural, a sweet romance, and an honest look at figuring out who you are, American Panda is a great debut and a wonderful edition to any teen library selection.
4/5 Stars. Jenny Colgan is just the best for summer reads. Her protagonist here is Polly, who is living her best life: she's got great hair, has her dream job as the town's beloved baker, she lives in a lighthouse with her loving, handsome boyfriend Huckle, she has a pet puffin (you read that right). What could go wrong? Turns out, lots of things. This series is a pure delight.
________________________________________________________________________________
Tell me what your favorite reads from June have been. And check back soon for a recap on how the Summer Reading Program at the library went, a fun giveaway, and a cookbook review!



No comments:
Post a Comment